We are committed to providing high-quality music education products and services to all our users. We value our reputation and standing as the UK’s largest music education body, one of the largest music publishers and the world’s leading provider of music exams. We hope you’re pleased with the products you’ve purchased or the services you’ve received from ABRSM. However, if there’s something you’re not happy with, please let us know. We take all complaints very seriously and will do everything we can to put matters right.
There are some things which are not covered by this policy. It does not apply to employees or consultants, or in any situation where we have a pre-existing complaints process in place. If you make a complaint under this policy and we think it would be better dealt with using a different process then we reserve the right to do so. Please visit the relevant sections of our website to find out more about:
Exam feedback or concerns
We have a separate process for handling complaints about exams.
We also have a dedicated policy for dealing with any safeguarding concerns.
Who is this complaints policy for?
- 1. Anyone buying goods or services from us, other than our exams, such as our sheet music and books.
- 2. Anyone using our services who is unhappy with the services provided by our staff in carrying out their duties.
- 3. Anyone who has (or has had) a working relationship with ABRSM who is not (or was not) an employee or consultant, such as an examiner.
Please let us know as soon as possible so that we can try to resolve your complaint quickly. In the first instance you can contact us by phone, email or letter. If we can’t resolve your complaint over the phone, then we may ask you to write to us giving more details.
T +44 (0) 20 7636 5400
24 Portland Place
If you need to contact us by email or letter, please:
- 1. Give your name, address and contact details, including mobile number and email address where relevant.
- 2. Explain what your complaint is about, including relevant dates.
- 3. Tell us whether the complaint relates to you or if you are complaining on someone else’s behalf.
- 4. If your complaint is about an ABRSM individual, please tell us their name (if you know this).
- 5. Tell us what outcome you would like to achieve.
- We will log your complaint so that we have a record of it.
- If we need to we may contact you for more information.
- We will review your complaint and forward it to the right team or person.
- We will provide a response as soon as we can.
If you are happy with our response then we will close the complaint record and take steps to make any improvements to our products or services.
If you are not happy with our response then you can ask for a review.
- The review will be made by a senior member of staff with no direct involvement in the initial investigation.
- We will let you know the result of the review as soon as we can.
- This will be the end of the process and we will not carry out another review.
- We will normally give reasons for any decisions made but we are not obliged to give detailed reasons.
- The same complaint cannot be submitted more than once.
This policy is not contractual and does not confer any legal rights. We will normally follow this policy but can depart from it if we think that it is appropriate to do so. We can amend or discontinue this policy at any time and for any reason without prior notice. Nothing in this policy excludes any rights which you may have through other channels, such as the Charity Commission.
We aim to carry out an annual review of complaints received so that we can identify any aspects of our products or services which we need to improve.