Our Practical Grades focus on all-round musical knowledge and skills. They are assessed through a face-to-face exam and are available for the following levels and subjects:
- Initial Grade: Piano and Bowed Strings only
- Grades 1 to 8: classical instruments and singing, Singing for Musical Theatre
- Grades 1 to 5: jazz instruments
We also offer Practical Musicianship Grades that assess all-round listening, reading and playing skills.
An instrumental and singing Practical Grade has four sections:
- Three pieces or songs
- Scales and arpeggios for instrumentalists / unaccompanied song for singers
- Sight-reading / quick study for jazz instruments
- Aural tests
Total marks for Practical Grades are 150. You need to achieve:
- 100 to pass
- 120 to pass with merit
- 130 to pass with distinction
Find out how examiners mark Practical Grades:
Find out more about Practical Grades for:
Know what exam you want to book? Go straight to our online booking service.
Looking for more information about our qualifications and the benefits for learners?